Encouragement for the Journey to Godliness
8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. 10 Therefore, brothers,be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
– 2 Peter 1:8-11
- The Encouragement of Fruitfulness vv 8-9
- The Encouragement of Assurance v 10a
- The Encouragement of Perseverance v 10b
- The Encouragement of Eternal Blessings v 11
Life Group Discussion Questions:
- According to 2 Pet 1:8-9, what is Peter urging the church with regards to qualities that he has introduced in 2 Pet 1:5-7?
- What does Peter mean by the phrase,”knowledge of our Jesus Christ”(v 9b)? Please consider the context of 2 Peter 1 and the New Testament as well in your discussions of this question.
- What are some of the ways that you become nearsighted or blind in your faith? Please reflect personally and talk to one another about those issues.
- If our identity is in Christ and through His cross we have a relationship with God (v 9b). What steps could you take to be eager to grow and be fruitful or useful and not be wasteful or unfruitful?
- What is the assurance of your faith? Please read Ephesians 1:3-6 and contemplate the hand of God in your life to know Him. How can you be diligent in confirming your call and election as your persevere through trials in this world (v 10)?
- How shall we live in this world as a warrior with a heart waiting to enter the eternal kingdom of God? Are we fighting against the sin in our life?
- How can we set our minds on eternal blessings? (Discuss with the group from Eph. 1:3-6 and 2 Pet. 1:3-11.)